BLOG and ACTIVITY 2: What does true success feel like?
This blog originally appears on Sallyann’s Linkedin account.
First let’s get something straight……….
Society has fooled most of us to measure success by large corner offices, hefty bank accounts, exotic vacations, degrees etc. And while some of us feel good with extrinsic things , it is not the thing itself that make us successful. In fact many of us have those things I am mentioning and certainly do not feel successful right?
The feeling of success is triggered differently for everyone. Feelings come from signals we send to our brains so it goes without saying success is a state of mind that in returns triggers certain feelings of joy and happiness. If I had to describe it, I would say it is the good kind of butterflies in our stomachs or that inside smile that explodes in our hearts when we just know we are successful.
Success without happiness is failure.
I know some of you are saying success/happiness only comes with financial freedom. And even though you kinda have some support….. there is a study from Princeton University’s that shows if you make approx. $75,000 annually you are happier than a person with lower income…..I disagree! The study also shows that if you make significantly more than $75k a year you do not “feel” any happier than you so with just $75,000 a year i.e. more money does not make you feel more successful.
I actually think the money is just the side-show…it is the feeling of being valued for your work and effort that brings on the feeling of happiness and success when it comes to money. Making $75k when you know you did it lying and cheating does not feel good ……period! Also making $75k gambling and winning the lottery also does not make one feel successful!
Because many of us look around at others and allow them to define our success, understanding what success means to you requires some work.
Here are a few steps to tap into your success consciousness:
- Try and recall any past times you felt really good about yourself and something you did and/or achieved. What did those feelings feel like? What was it that triggered those feelings? An excellent example of this in use was with athlete Michael Jordan who whenever he had to take an important shot would on cue access his success memories of all the times he made a slam dunk.
- Now try and imagine very clearly in your future re-creating those same feelings. What would cause you to feel this way again? Now imagine vividly doing that thing and accessing these feelings. We attract what we think so visualization is a great tool to bring into your life what you want.
- Now ask yourself if there are any other feelings you know will make you feel good and want to bring into your life. What would you have to do to bring these feeling into your life? Dream up scenarios and play them over and over in your mind. A clear successful intention helps to clarify and remove obstacles that allow you to access your success flow.
I can tell you I am going through one of the most successful periods of my life so far. I feel great….I am in the flow….I am doing work I can autograph like a masterpiece….I am happy…..I am the most successful person I know! And I say this from a place of extreme humility. I purposely have less things than I have ever had in my life. And I also happen to be in a place of tremendous gratitude.
Here’s a look at some well known successful leaders and how they individually defined success:
- Arianna Huffington: “A third measure of success that goes beyond the two metrics of money and power, consists of four pillars: well-being, wisdom, wonder, and giving.”
- Maya Angelou: “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.”
- Deepak Chopra: “Success in life could be defined as the continued expansion of happiness and the progressive realization of worthy goals.”
- Thomas Edison: “Success is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration.”
- Steven Covey: “If you carefully consider what you want to be said of you in the funeral, you will find your definition of success.”
Here’s to you finding your SUCCESS!!!!